Just because it’s January in Wisconsin doesn’t mean that you have to hibernate! In fact, experts say the best way to beat the winter blues (also known as “Seasonal Depression” or “Seasonal Affective Disorder”) is to make yourself get out of the house and enjoy the company of others, whether that’s through a group exercise class, a social gathering or just a shared meal. Luckily, the Geneva Lake area is full of fun, indoor winter activities to help you do this! Below are a few suggestions:
- Embrace the local library. The Geneva Lake area offers plenty of opportunity for bookworms to get together and share their love of reading and beyond. The Lake Geneva Library offers a book club that meets the third Wednesday of every month at The Bottle Shop in Lake Geneva to discuss that month’s selection. The Barrett Memorial Library in Williams Bay maintains a robust schedule of activities throughout the winter season, including a writing club and two different book club options. And the Aram Public Library in Delavan offers everything from adult craft classes to cribbage club and card games, not to mention several book clubs, of course.
- Try a yoga class. Whether you’re an absolute beginner or an experienced yogi, there are many options for group yoga classes in the Geneva Lake area. Williams Bay’s Crescent Moon Wellness Center has recently teamed up with Yoga Lake Geneva to offer classes seven days a week! Or head to The Space in Lake Geneva for a full calendar of vinyasa yoga and gentle yoga, as well as Pilates, sound healing and spin classes. If hot yoga (Bikram) is your thing, head to Williams Bay’s Heatwave Hot Yoga Studio.
- Recruit a few friends and test your skills at bar trivia. Do you have a penchant for useless knowledge or happen to have memorized every Superbowl winner? Then round up a few teammates and find a bar offering weekly trivia nights – you can test yourselves against other teams! Elkhorn’s Duesterbeck’s Brewery offers trivia at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday nights, plus you can enjoy a full slate of local beers. This is also true at Lake Geneva’s Topsy Turvy Brewery, where trivia starts at 6 p.m. on Thursday nights. Or if you’re looking for something to look forward to on Monday nights, head to Crafted Italia at The Ridge from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. for America’s Pub Quiz.
- Get creative. There are several options for getting in touch with your creative side in the Geneva Lake area. Head to Elkhorn’s Nailed It! DIY Studio to create your own wood décor sign for your home. Lake Geneva’s Board and Brush offers workshops Thursdays through Saturdays – everything from creating your own doormat to a porch makeover! Or try The Candle Mercantile in Lake Geneva, where you get to create your own signature scent and head home with a personalized candle.
- Sweat it out. Sometimes a good workout is all you need to turn around a bad mood. To add a social component to the experience, why not sign up for an exercise class? The Geneva Lakes Family YMCA offers a full slate of classes for members, everything from cardio and cycling to aqua aerobics and high-intensity strength training. Or head to the Four Lakes Athletic Club in Elkhorn, which offers everything from bootcamp classes to tai chi, as well as Silver Sneakers and senior-friendly classes. Grand Geneva’s WELL Spa welcomes community members to its group fitness classes, which include spin cycle, total body circuit and rock wall open climb, among plenty of other offerings.